Re: Coherent (modern) definition of RWW

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 15:40, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> On 5/17/21 8:44 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> > The concept of RWW started a long time ago.
>

> Yes, it is as old as the World Wide Web (Web) itself.

So this group is almost 10 years old, and at the start there was some back
and forth about defining RWW

We came I think to a clear and simple definition which was:  "Using
standards to read and write to the web"

So LDP is a valid candidate, tho not the only candidate.  I believe timbl
has said somwhere its an attempt to webize the file system, or perhaps to
rdf-ize it

Something like WebDAV is a perfectly good standard for reading and
writing.  Limited in many ways, but can be useful.  There's more, perhaps
we should collect them in the wiki.  Just to note that the file: space is
also part of the web, so writing to a file is an important action,
especially from the browser

Kingsley's breakdown of indenity / identifiers / authn / authz / storage
imo is a great way to break it down.  The other thing I like is what
Kingsley describes as the EAV model for declarative data.  But I think we
are still missing time in the equation.  By time I dont mean really
versioning, tho that's part of it.  I mean more of state that can change in
time, robustly and resiliently.

The RWW is still IMHO an unfinished project, in that it does sort-of-useful
things, but the use cases are not to date hugely compelling.  My feeling
lately is that the ephemeral nature of the web is one reason for this and
underdeveloped standards, so it's perhaps a gap we can close, if people
want to work on such a thing ...