Re: Coherent (modern) definition of RWW

On 5/17/21 10:27 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2021-05-17 15:39:52)
>> On 5/17/21 8:44 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
>>> The concept of RWW started a long time ago.
>>
>> Yes, it is as old as the World Wide Web (Web) itself.
>
>>> Question posed is;
>>>
>>> What's the modern (well referenced) definition?  (Incremental growth
>>> of past "definitions, etc.  Perhaps therein also, better clarity of
>>> previously assumed characteristics / constituencies, etc.)
>>
>> A Read-Write Web is a hyperlink-based network that offers both read
>> and write capabilities to its users. Nothing has changed, bar
>> increased murkiness surrounding:
>>
>> 1. Identity
>> 2. Identification
>> 3. Authentication
>> 4. Authorization
>> 5. Storage

Hi Jonas,

> As I understand it, some of the hype around blockchain is that it
> addresses some of the above - and some the criticism is that it does not
> address all of them (other criticism is that price is too high).

Yes!

The biggest issue is that Blockains hook into networks that aren't
cobbled together using URIs.

If they get round to treating URIs as core infrastructure, it will
become much more useful than it is right now.

As Melvin often states:

Most of blockchain initiatives ultimately boil down to "buy my token"
schemes.

> Same/similar for Holochain and IPFS.
>
> I dearly hope that the Safe Network succeeds and reaches critical mass,
> as it seems to me that it addresses all of the above 5 points, with a
> cost directly tied to the operations themselves (the Safenet equivalent
> of bitcoin "mining" is to contribute storage or bandwidth or validation
> to the network): https://safenetwork.tech/faq/#what-is-the-safe-network
>

>  - Jonas

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com