Re: Evolution of the RWW -- a Temporal Web -- Towards Web 4.0 (?)

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 19:50, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> > On 17. May 2021, at 03:33, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
> >

> > A loosely coupled immutable timestamped record of state changes allows
> deployment of resources to be broadly tech and protocol agnostic. For
> example several previous states of a document could be stored on IPFS, with
> the stateless protocol HTTP providing the most recent state, and a chain
> exposing timestamped pointers to the previous states.
>
> You can also get quite far just by adding link between version states
> using memento for example.
> I am trying that out in the new Solid Server I am putting together. There
> are comments in the code here:
>
> https://github.com/co-operating-systems/Reactive-SoLiD/blob/master/src/main/scala/run/cosy/ldp/fs/Resource.scala#L223

Thanks Henry

This looks interesting, I've had a look at the comment you pointed to, and
it looks interesting, tho I didnt understand it fully

Would it be possible to describe in a couple of sentences for those that
are not intimately familiar with memento

I can imagine a work stream for a temporal web based on this approach, if
there's interest

The thing that particularly interests me is what I'll term quite vaguely, a
web-scale temporal web.  What I mean by this is, that the timestamp
operation (aka the witness operation) is global scope and not local.
Meaning if any one website goes down, the timestamping record will still be
there allowing a reconstruction of the history.  Providing resilience.  In
2021, we have specialized time stamping servers (commonly referred to as
pubic block chain) which can provide this time travel type functions.  From
your comment there is a time travel in memento too.  In any case,
interested in your findings, if you'd like to share ...