Re: Evolution of the RWW -- a Temporal Web -- Towards Web 4.0 (?)

Does not IPFS pretty much create a read/write web?

Well.. the ability to register a domain and set up a blog behind it has
long been the equivalent of owning a printing press.  IPFS takes us to
the point of not needing to host anything at all.  And citing IPFS URIs
pretty much provides a paper trail.  Now cataloging, search, persistence
- all the librarianship issues still need some work, but ...

Miles Fidelman

Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> For years in this group (tho less actively recently) we've been
> exploring ways to read and write to the web, in a standards based way
>
> The foundational principle was that the first browser was a
> browser/editor and that both reading and writing to the web should be
> possible, preferably using a standards-based approach
>
> Fundamentally writing is a more difficult problem then reading,
> because inevitably you want to be able to control who writes to what,
> in order to, preserve a degree of continuity
>
> This has lead to the concept of what I'll loosely call web access
> control (tho there's also the capability based approach) which in turn
> required work to be done on (web) identity, users, and groups
>
> The standards based approach to declarative data, with different
> agents operating on it, in a linked way, has started to take some
> shape, including with the solid project, and I think approximates to
> what timbl has branded, at various times, as web 3.0 / semantic web
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web#Web_3.0
>
> So far, so good
>
> However solid, and even the web, to a degree is something of an
> ephemeral web, rather than having both a temporal and an spacial
> aspect to it.  I suppose this was by design and in line with the
> so-called "principle of least power"
>
> The challenge with building multi agent systems on a semantic linked,
> access control web is that they lack robustness over time.  This makes
> them hard to compete with the centralized server.  You run an agent
> (for those few of us that have built them) and then they'll sit on
> your desktop, or a server, or if you can compile it, on your phone
>
> And interact with the web of linked data, but in a quite ephemeral
> way.  Turn your machine off, and the agent is off, soon to be
> forgotten except for a missing piece of functionality.  People will
> forget where which agent was running, or what it does, and there's
> nothing to handle operation in time, leading to race conditions, lack
> of sync, race conditions,  and even network infinite loops
>
> While some temporal aspects are built into web standards, such as
> etags and memento, as well as various time vocabs, and VCS, I think
> we'll all agree that they are hard to work with. And from my
> experience also lack robustness
>
> Timbl wrote a very interesting design note on this matter called Paper
> Trail
>
> https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/PaperTrail
>
> In it he talks about the evolution of documents over time, through
> reading and writing, and how you can keep a paper trail of that.  I
> think it's quite a visionary work which anticipates things that came
> after it such as public block chains
>
> I think the paper trail concept is something that has yet to be fully
> (or perhapd even partially) realized
>
> Now (in 2021) public block chains are an established technology.  In
> particular they act as robust timestamp servers on the internet, which
> [...]

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown