Re: What is the Semantic Web?

On 8/6/21 3:47 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> It still seems important to figure out how to describe to 'unlearned'
> people, 'what is semantic web'.
>
> I guess; essentially, what's kinda required is seemingly something
> that addresses the following;
>
> 1. history of it
> 2. purpose of it
> 3. support for it / how its presently used (market penetration /
> abundance, etc.).
> 4. implications of it
> 5. evolution of it (ie: non-http URIs?, etc.).
>
> perhaps ideally also
> - differences from RDBMS
> - Relationship to 'AI'
> - 'unmet challenges' as told by 'tech inventors' (meaning - an
> opportunity to seek-out some shared values statements about the
> purpose of our works, for humanity, for our biosphere, for the
> betterment of good).
>
> any links?  or is anyone interested in collaborating on producing
> something that's useful for others?
>
> (NB: i note the former emails, but haven't had time to respond yet).
>
> more broadly; my thinking is, that communicating these sorts of things
> (leading to conversations about 'ontologies', etc.) may be part of the
> more important steps involved in progressing works, towards a future
> (world/web) we want.
>
> Moreover also; that parts of what is thought of as RWW (by those
> involved from so many years ago) may also be woven into the
> consideration / deliberations, provided by the 'what' as to better
> explain the 'why'.
>
> Historically; W3C has played a vital role (and will continue to do so)
> with respect to patent pool creation and governance as to support
> future ambitiously targeted outcomes - such as retaining 'freedom of
> thought' as may otherwise be influenced by WWW related technologies
> including 'AI'.
>
> Yet, i'm not sure there's much that now needs patent pool creation /
> approval / consolidation / consensus.  Overall, it seems that there's
> a strategic, tactical and pragmatic process of improving documentation
> that's kinda distinct to seeking royalty free use of intellectual
> property that's critically important for the protection of human
> rights / freedom of thought / rule of law / liberalised democracies,
> etc.
>
> If i'm mistaken, let me know; but IMO, tech in and of itself is
> ideologically agnostic. Therein, (imo) the widespread deployment of
> tech; provides a fairly comprehensive basis to consider how 'SemWeb
> tech' could be used; without necessarily illustrating (or documenting)
> other (better?) ways it could be used.
>
> Timothy Holborn

There is ample material on the Web that answers this question, IMHO.

Personally, I believe focus needs to move towards using "a Semantic Web"
(rather than "The Semantic Web") since definitions (like specs) aren't a
magic-bullet for mass understanding, uptake, and application exploitation.

Links:

[1]
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Semantic-Web/answer/Kingsley-Uyi-Idehen
-- What is the Semantic Web?

[2]
https://medium.com/virtuoso-blog/linked-data-ontologies-and-knowledge-graphs-a3d0ad6d6f66
-- Linked Data, Ontologies, and Knowledge Graphs

[3]
https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog/semantic-web-layer-cake-tweak-explained-6ba5c6ac3fab
-- Semantic Web Layer Cake Explained

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com