Re: LDP a replacement for WebDav?

On 11 April 2017 at 16:22, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 4/10/17 7:57 PM, Brent Shambaugh wrote:
> > I might have to expand the Wikipedia page. In general the linked W3C
> > pages mention implementations, and describe the standard, but they
> > don't get into where it comes from and why it mattered. The whole ALM
> > discussion of Arnaud J Le Hors is fascinating. SOLiD and its
> > connection between WebID, LDP, and efforts to re-decentralize the
> > social web are also not mentioned (I don't know the line between
> > promotion, adoption, etc. is).
> > -Brent Shambaugh
>
> Great points.
>
> W3C specs tend to focus on the technical side of things. Conceptual
> what, why, and how's are scant. Sadly, therein lies a massive void that
> inevitably affects adoptions. Organizations can't justify investing in
> what they don't understand.
>
> Quick Breakdown:
>
> WebID -- HTTP URI that Identifies Agents (People, Organizations, Software)
> WebID-Profile -- Document that describes an Agent identified by a WebID
> WebID+TLS Protocol -- Protocol for authenticating WebIDs
> LDP - an RDF (using metadata serialized using RDF-Turtle or JSON-LD) and
> Linked Data alternative to WebDAV (metadata is serialized using XML) for
> Read-Write operations
> SoLiD -- The above plus some "best practices" (e.g, use of some HTTP
> custom headers and session metadata) for a decentralized Read-Write Web

Excellent summary.  Solid also provides access control, so it respects a
user's privacy.

It strikes me that access control is perhaps the next thing to be delivered
in the evolution of the web.

For example search engines crawl public_html, index it, and allow it to be
searchable.  It's easy to think, this is the whole web.  However sites like
facebook allow an access controlled experience, shared with your roster of
friends.  Solid takes this concept to a new level.

The web that public search engines cant see or track is often called the
'dark web' but actually it's just the web that respects people's privacy.
A new web that is controlled by its users poses threats and opportunities
current model.  There is a current narrative of 'dark web' and 'light? web'
-- a better new narrative would perhaps be the 'public web' / 'shared web'
/ 'personal web'.

The other aspect of solid is realtime updates to provide tight feedback
loops.