Re: How the father of the World Wide Web plans to reclaim it from Facebook and Google

On 25 August 2016 at 15:36, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> fast progress, but a working group where people actually commit to
>>> deliverables does achieve interop.  It's just a question of how much time
>>> each process takes. The thing about a WG is that you generally commit 1 day
>>> a week or as much as 0.5 of a FTE, per company involved. That's a more
>>> resource that is currently being employed.
>>>
>>> There is subtle confusion about my point reflected in your last two
>>> comments. If a SoLiD client fails to work with my Virtuoso instance, then
>>> simply indicate what the issue is. You can also share a list of SoLiD apps
>>> here and I can once again test them. That said, I have zero interest in
>>> compiling anyting or heading out on module graph bounties. I just want to
>>> install something and test.
>>>
>> Yes, I think we're talking high level perspective vs low level
>> perspective.  The devil is in the detail.Â
>> I will be working on my own back end "solid live" and the acid test for
>> me will be whether solid apps can work with it.Â
>>
>> Your description of SoLiD, as exemplified by this exchange, isn't how you
>> make progress. First off, you need to be able to actually describe what
>> SoLiD actually is, clearly. Simply declaring things as compliant vs non
>> compliant, without any clarity isn't the way to generate uptake and interop
>> activity. What is the fundamental goal of SoLiD? What is does it actually
>> offer right now, that uniquely distinguishes it with regards to using HTTP,
>> WebDAV, LDP, Web ACLs, WebID+TLS, WebID+TLS+Delegation, SPARQL Graph
>> Protocol, SPARQL 1.1 etc. to perform Read-Write operations? Answering this
>> question is crucial :) Kingsley
>>
> Have you looked at this? https://github.com/solid/solid-spec
>
> Melvin,
>
> You know I've looked at that, and much more. We are having a public
> discussion and its really important that you (and other SoLiD supporters)
> embark on the following:
>
> 1. Articulate what problem SoLiD solves, uniquely
>
> 2. Demonstrate how SoLiD delivers on its value proposition via simple
> Client and Server implementations that just work i.e., no coding and
> compilation involved.
>
> We have a maze of technologies and "best practices" all conflated under
> SoLiD, unfortunately. That doesn't make for a sound interop basis when you
> have failure points at the following levels:
>
> [1] WebID Authentication using WebID+TLS protocol
>
> [2] WebID+TLS authentication protocol and Browser UX issue -- which is
> solved by WebID+TLS+Delegation protocol
>
> [3] Non-existent interop efforts across WebID+TLS, WebID+TLS+Delegation
> compliant clients and servers
>
> [4] Non-existent interop efforts across WebACL compliant clients and
> servers
>
> [5] All of the above for LDP compliant clients and servers; ditto SPARQL
> Graph Protocol and SPARQL 1.1 compliant clients and servers.
>
> Without 1-5 sorted out, you have nothing to work with, in a practical

Solid allow you to grow the space of documents, media and importantly data,
organically by using read and write standards such as LDP, identity via
WebID and WebAccess control.

This data space can be consumed and augmented by a new breed of apps that
also can work in realtime.

I assure that interop and testing is going on, on a daily basis.  We are
using node-solid-server, Gold and previously ldnode.  Henry at one point
was writing a scala implementation (rww-play), which got quite far, but I
havent heard much from him in the last year.

There is a lot of activity, but it have moved from the mailing lists, to
github and gitter.  Virtuoso is a great platform but largely untested on
this front.

Let me go back to my original point.  I think it would be really valuable
when solid apps run on virtuoso, as I am sure you would agree.
Additionally work done in virutouso would benefit other platofrms creating
a rich eco system.  But we are not at this point.  Whatever the reasons,
this is some time away.  How long it takes is simply a function of how much
resource is employed.  6 months seems optimistic from my point of view,
though I'd love to see that happen.  The advantage of a WG is a concrete
process where the tests are well defined, with regular communication via
telecons to check progress, something that does not happen presently.