Re: How the father of the World Wide Web plans to reclaim it from Facebook and Google

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 at 23:30 Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Business models and architectures certainly are hurdles but the (IMO) #1
> reason
> to why centralized services succeed and decentralized (usually) do not is
> that the
> latter require agreements by gazillions of partners with different agendas
> which as shown by for example the middle-east conflict simply doesn't work.

IMHO: creative commons is a great example of how, as you refer to it, a
'gazillions of partners' can be coordinated.

similarly; yet different, is github, or indeed also - W3C...

IMHO we need a new type of license agreement that enables service-providers
whilst offering a 'human rights' considerate - licensing alternative.

the data stored on these underlying storage-services is not owned by the
service-provider, but rather, the human who holds the account or humans who
maintain an account via a trust-mechanism (ie: groups) which in-turn can be
described in RDF.

another problem therein becomes enforcement; yet, we have been taught by
governments how to do this.

The TransPacific Partnership agreements, as an example, illustrate the
power of international contract law - and lets face it, if a legal firm
believes money is available for successfully winning a case - they'll often
fund the case to get a bigger slice of that settlement...

so, amongst the issues that exist IMHO; is one of how licensing / contract
law, may be applied to achieve a 'human rights' compliant design outcome.

of course; this is not the only type of licensing arrangement i envisage
may apply to these future services; but i would consider alternatives less
'human centric'...

> Even for partners with "similar" agendas like banks, the idea of creating
> a bank-to-bank payment protocol is probably never going to happen.  Well,
> there are som enthusiasts who believe in the PSD2 regulation but the forces
> behind PSD2 didn't design an API to go with that, so at least seen from my
> watchtower their cute but toothless project will be completely overridden
> by
> Apple, Google, PayPal etc. who all offer a working solution including
> security.
>
> that's more of an argument about various 'institutional web' variants; of
which many exist.  It's it called more broadly - Web 2.0 >?

Tim.H.

Anders