Re: SoLID -- Social Linked Data

On 4/9/15 4:22 PM, cdr wrote:
>> Tabulator is nowhere close to a user-friendly interface
> am still wondering how Tim does his taxes in it. maybe a screencast w/ names + currency-values blobbed out?
>
> 1. it's maintained enough to at least find, launch & use - for a variety of mid-00s RDF-browsers that's not the case - their websites disappeared, theyre written for some old version of SWING in JAVA (Rather than HTML5+JS) if you can even find the source, which isn't on Github. so it's still doing its part of the deal more than the competition
>
> 2. is your RDF available in suitably bite-sized chunks, and with the proper content-negotation availability and served under the right MIME types? a surprising amount of stuff screws this up, even schemas off LOV where they must have bypassed conneg to import 'text/plain' or 'application/octet-stream's that were actually RDF/XML or Turtle.
>
>   Tabulator is useful to see if your webserver is completely FUBAR. especially if you serve Tabulator as normal JS so it's subject to all of the CORS and MIX(HTTP+HTTPS) security stuff.
>
> 3. is your Data plausible to make sense of*without*  a custom UI? "boring is good" angle of Tabulator helps here. FTP site authors got creative with index-dirs, links, and had no control over what clients users were on. LDP is more flexible than this, but it's good to have a client that is plain, to be sure you're not too tightly-coupled to a particular UI you do most of your developing for. in fact you should comment out all the domain-specific panes while youre at it...

Tabulator was built at a time when stuff like LDP didn't exist. It also
had to negate the treacherous RDF/XML ocean, and you didn't have the
likes of G+, Twitter, Facebook etc..

If TimBL was to do it all over I assume he would have pushed something
like Nanotation [1] (he did create Turtle, after all) and focused on a
browser hosted processor with less UI than you see in Tabulator  :)

[1] http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2014/07/nanotation.html
[2]
http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2015/01/social-networking-profiles-for-everyone.html
[3] http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2015/01/review-publishing-for-everyone.html