Re: LDP Interop via CIMBA and Virtuoso

On 7/22/14 8:37 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> anytime an SSL session is created (based on a webid authentication
> event), dont suppose a “private” resource could be created - bearing
> the sessionid number?

Only if some implementation decides to act that way. Likewise, an ACL
can be derived from an combination of relations in an identity card (be
it the x.509 cert used during the handshake and/or public profile
document at some later stage).

> The point is to showcase, widely, how easy it is to track ssl sessions
> (as a generalized privacy buster) and identity inferences from them.

Since this shouldn't happen by default, I don't think we have the
generalized privacy buster. In fact, we have the opposite since actual
ACLs don't need to be shared with a human driving a Web browser, as part
of the protected resource access workflow.

Example:

Let's say I have a picture that I only want to share with you. My ACL
doesn't have to be based solely on the fact that you present an X.509
cert bearing a WebID that triangulates back to a profile document that
mirrors the relations in the x.509 cert. etc.. You (the browser user)
has little knowledge over the actual ACLs applied to a protected
resource, let alone the sniffers out there, assuming my actual ACLs
aren't revealed in a compromising way.

SPARQL ASK queries over Linked Data will drive the more sophisticated
ACLs, declaratively.

> with that set of reference points, its also a means, on a massive
> scale, to let ssl session management - now represented as just another
> referencible resource - protect metadata-based infrastructure - from
> systemic metadata-trawling vulnerabilities.

Yes, ultimately, but (modulo typos) your suggestion would get the
opposite of what you state above, if I am understanding you correctly :-)

> Cannot say how, in short missive, but assume that layers of security
> leverage the fixed point of sessions to create complex worlds through
> which other channels of metadata can be passed.

I assume the worst, there's a little more to showcase re. ACLs +
Encryption at Rest (EAR) once we get some basic interop going.
Ultimately, you will need to not only navigate the ACLs that protect a
document, you will also have to be able to decrypt the document's
content :-)

Kingsley