Re: Archaic HTTP "From:" Header

On 27 May 2013, at 14:29, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 May 2013 14:17, mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Register "webid" as a Link Relation Value and ese the LINK header as in
> Link: <http://...." rel="webid">
>
> This will make sure you don't step on someone else's header, no-one will step our yours. This will also allow you to include it in the header and (when appropriate) include it within a message body.
>
> That could work so how about

The text below looks good, but the question is what is the relation between the content sent and the
WebID? A WebID is a URI denoting an Agent.

 https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html

But what the rel=.... requires is what you need to define. "rel" stands
for _relation_ .

You can use establised RDF relations such as

  dc:author
  dc:contributor
  foaf:maker

Using any of those in the link header comes down to saying respectively

<> dc:author mywebid .
<> dc:contributor mywebid .
<> foaf:maker mywebid .

Or you could use the existing relations in the registry
http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml

In short I don't think that WebID is a relation. It is a subset of URIs.

> [...]
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikeamundsen
>

> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 3 April 2013 19:18, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I think the HTTP "From:" header [1] is now truly archaic circa. 2013. If the range of this particular predicate was a URI it would really aid our quest for a RWW.
>
> Suggestion:
>
> As part of our RWW bootstrap effort, we could consider an "X-From:" header that basically takes a URI or Literal value.
>
> I think we can flesh this out across WebID and RWW via implementations before moving up to TAG and IETF.
>
> Mark: what do you think, anyway ? :-)
>
> After some investigation on this:
>
> Here is the current text, which is slightly different from the RFC
>
> [[
> 5.5.1 From
>
> The "From" header field contains an Internet email address for a human user who controls the requesting user agent. The address ought to be machine-usable, as defined by "mailbox" in Section 3.4 of [RFC5322]:
>
>   From    = mailbox
>
>   mailbox = <mailbox, defined in [RFC5322], Section 3.4>
> An example is:
>
>   From: webmaster@example.org
> The From header field is rarely sent by non-robotic user agents. A user agent SHOULD NOT send a From header field without explicit configuration by the user, since that might conflict with the user's privacy interests or their site's security policy.
>
> Robotic user agents SHOULD send a valid From header field so that the person responsible for running the robot can be contacted if problems occur on servers, such as if the robot is sending excessive, unwanted, or invalid requests.
>
> Servers SHOULD NOT use the From header field for access control or authentication, since most recipients will assume that the field value is public information.
>
> ]]
>
> 1. "From" seems to be largely unused according to various sources
>
> 2. Some people are already using "From" for http URIs
>
> 3. From my informal straw poll more people are in favour of using HTTP URIs in From than against (roughly 2 to 1), though those against seem to be strongly against
> 4. It may be possible to use another header, but that is less intuitive, and we will need suggestions
>
> 5. It was pointed out that, what later became known as "WebID" stuffed an HTTP URI in the header field.
>
> 6. The User-Agent field is used by spiders such as baidu and google to give an HTTP URI
>
> IMHO, this is a valuable use case for identifying on the web, without a dependency on X.509 certs which are (at least perceived as) very hard to deploy.  If you want strong security use TLS but it need not be mandatory for more casual usage.  A use case might be to get a casual social web going eg via the tabulator extenstion
> So the question is which header to use for identity on the web ...

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/