Re: Introduction, Create.js

On 13 May 2013 12:20, Henri Bergius <henri.bergius@iki.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I joined the RWW group today, and thought brief introductions would be in
> order. Some of you probably already know me through the RDFa and JSON-LD
> groups, or the various open source communities I participate in.

Hi & Welcome!

> My introduction to a "writable web" came with early CMS work in the 90s
> that eventually resulted in the Midgard open source CMS:
> http://midgard-project.org
>
> Since then, the focus has been more on bringing web editing to the browser
> side by connecting technologies like RDFa and contentEditable. The idea is
> that we could improve all CMSs together by decoupling the editing tools
> from the server implementations of content storage and page generation.
>
> The original description of "Decoupled Content Management" can be found
> from this blog post:
> http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/decoupling_content_management/
> A video version is also available: http://vimeo.com/45633052

I really enjoyed this video, it's exciting to see so much going on in CMS +
RWW.  Have you seen Stephane Corlosquet's work with Drupal.

> This concept resonated quite well in the CMS community, and the two main
> libraries we build for front end editing have reached a wide adoption.
>
> VIE (http://viejs.org) is the underlaying library that manages editable
> content on the client side through Backbone.js, using JSON-LD as the server
> communications layer and RDFa as the HTML-side data binding.
>
> Create.js (http://createjs.org) builds on top of VIE, and adds the
> necessary UI layer for editing content on the browser, including features
> like workflows and locally-saved drafts.

I'm going to have to give createjs a test drive!  We have some of the VIE
people in this group too.

> In addition to making content editing easier, I'm currently also exploring
> the editability of "web behaviors" through the concept of Flow-Based
> Programming as implemented in JavaScript with NoFlo (http://noflojs.org).
> Here the idea is to build a kinetic web UI prototyping tool somewhat along
> the lines of Quarz Composer. If you have a touch-enabled browser, you can
> see a simple demo of this in http://noflojs.org/demo/touch.html
>
> If you're interested in how my ideas on this have evolved through the
> time, here is the archive of blog posts around a writable web stretching
> back to 2003: http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/category/oscom/

Thanks for sharing this content, I'm still going through some of the tree.
Definitely keen to try this out and to compile midguard and other projects
into our wiki ...