Re: WebID account recovery / pairing.

On 14 February 2013 09:36, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On 11 February 2013 16:28, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I am proud to announce that MyProfile (https://my-profile.eu/) now
>>> allows users to recover their accounts in case something happened with its
>>> corresponding certificates. This feature is only available to local
>>> accounts.
>>>

>> Really nice!
>>

>>> Account recovery works in three steps.
>>>
>>> First, when a user creates a new account, he/she has the option to
>>> provide an email address for recovery purpose (an email will never be
>>> disclosed to anyone else). Users can modify the recovery email address at
>>> any time by visiting the Preferences (https://my-profile.eu/preferences)
>>> page.
>>>
>>> Then, if the user ever needs to recover access to his/her account, they
>>> can just go to https://my-profile.eu/recovery and type in their WebID.
>>> The system will generate a one-time code and then send an email with
>>> instructions on how to recover the account (basically just having to click
>>> on a URI). The code expires (is removed) once the user has logged in with
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Finally, once logged in, the user can now go to their profile page (
>>> https://my-profile.eu/view) and click on the certificate icon in the
>>> Actions list (top of the page). The system will generate a new certificate,
>>> bind it to the user's account, and then install it in the user's browser.
>>>

>> Does the old certificate still stay in the profile?
>>

> Yes it does. You may have a use case where you are at work and you just
> want to be able to issue a new certificate for your "work" computer. In
> this case, you just use the recovery option to login with your WebID
> account (local for MyProfile) and issue a new certificate.

Got it!

So it logged me in with the PIN, but I didnt realize that it had.

Top line messages was : 'The account recovery is only available for local
users.' -- which I slightly confused as an error message, rather than,
information that was there all the time.

Perhaps a success message or a redirect to the wall might be slightly more
intuitive?

However, great work, really like this feature, means I can login on mobile
or any other device etc.!