Re: WebID account recovery / pairing.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 11 February 2013 16:28, Andrei Sambra <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am proud to announce that MyProfile (https://my-profile.eu/) now
>> allows users to recover their accounts in case something happened with its
>> corresponding certificates. This feature is only available to local
>> accounts.
>>

> Really nice!
>

>> Account recovery works in three steps.
>>
>> First, when a user creates a new account, he/she has the option to
>> provide an email address for recovery purpose (an email will never be
>> disclosed to anyone else). Users can modify the recovery email address at
>> any time by visiting the Preferences (https://my-profile.eu/preferences)
>> page.
>>
>> Then, if the user ever needs to recover access to his/her account, they
>> can just go to https://my-profile.eu/recovery and type in their WebID.
>> The system will generate a one-time code and then send an email with
>> instructions on how to recover the account (basically just having to click
>> on a URI). The code expires (is removed) once the user has logged in with
>> it.
>>
>> Finally, once logged in, the user can now go to their profile page (
>> https://my-profile.eu/view) and click on the certificate icon in the
>> Actions list (top of the page). The system will generate a new certificate,
>> bind it to the user's account, and then install it in the user's browser.
>>

> Does the old certificate still stay in the profile?

Yes it does. You may have a use case where you are at work and you just
want to be able to issue a new certificate for your "work" computer. In
this case, you just use the recovery option to login with your WebID
account (local for MyProfile) and issue a new certificate.

>> Pairing.
>>
>> On the other hand, pairing allows users to log into MyProfile from a
>> different computer and/or browser (mobiles too!). To pair a different
>> browser, one has to log into MyProfile using their WebID as usual. Next, a
>> new PIN will be generated simply by going to Preferences and clicking the
>> "Generate a new PIN" button. The new PIN has a lifetime of only 60 seconds,
>> so you need to be fast!
>>
>> To authenticate with the PIN, users will have to go to the recovery page,
>> type in the PIN, and then press "Pair". That's it.
>>
>> Remember that uou don't need to have a local account to use the pairing
>> feature, you just need to be able to log in once with your WebID!
>>
>> If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply.
>>

> I was able to get a PIN.  Is it only available for local users?

No, as I said above, the PIN feature is available for any user. Of course,
it's specific to MyProfile, since PINs are not shared with other apps.

Andrei