Re: /#!hmm="crawler finds a pretty AJAX URL (that is, a URL containing a #! hash fragment)"

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:17:07 +0200
To: ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>
Cc: public-rww <public-rww@w3.org>
On 21 April 2013 04:26, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>wrote:

> Wondering about this recommendation from da G ;)
> https://developers.google.com/webmasters/ajax-crawling/docs/getting-started
>
> "Step-by-step guide
> 1. Indicate to the crawler that your site supports the AJAX crawling scheme
>
> The first step to getting your AJAX site indexed is to indicate to the
> crawler that your site supports the AJAX crawling scheme. The way to do
> this is to use a special token in your hash fragments (that is, everything
> after the # sign in a URL): hash fragments have to begin with an
> exclamation mark. For example, if your AJAX app contains a URL like this:
>
> www.example.com/ajax.html#key=value
>
> it should now become this:
>
> www.example.com/ajax.html#!key=value
>
> When your site adopts the scheme, it will be considered "AJAX crawlable."
> This means that the crawler will see the content of your app if your site
> supplies HTML snapshots."

This is the so-called "hash bang" idea

Jeni wrote a piece on this with some background, and representing her point
of view

http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/154

Twitter famously started using them in their profiles, then changed their
mind.

It's a slightly controversial topic and I think most linked data people
consider it to be an anti pattern

I personally do not find it compelling :)