Re: A New HTTP Status Code for Legally-restricted Resources

On 12 June 2012 18:08, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 6/12/12 11:17 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
>> 3.  451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons
>>
>>   This status code indicates that the server is subject to legal
>>   restrictions which prevent it servicing the request.
>>
>>   Since such restrictions typically apply to all operators in a legal
>>   jurisdiction, the server in question may or may not be an origin
>>   server.  The restrictions typically most directly affect the
>>   operations of ISPs and search engines.

>>   the response body, of the details of the legal restriction; which
>>   legal authority is imposing it, and what class of resources it
>>   applies to.  For example:
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/**draft-tbray-http-legally-**
>> restricted-status-00<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tbray-http-legally-restricted-status-00>
>>

> Nice find! Also cc'd in LOD and DBpedia lists.
>
> From time to time, we get requests to remove entries from DBpedia and
> DBpedia-Live. Typically, if the page is deleted from Wikipedia it gets
> deleted automatically from the live editions and manually via the static
> edition. That said, I envisage a time when there's a deadlock re. Wikipedia
> content and a legal "cease and desist" notice sent to DBpedia -- in which
> case this code could be very useful :-)

This one even made the national papers:

Ray Bradbury <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/ray-bradbury>'s
fiction<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/fiction>looks set to enter the
structure of the
internet <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/internet>, after a software
developer has proposed a new HTTP status code inspired by Fahrenheit
451<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/data/book/science-fiction/9780006546061/fahrenheit>
.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/22/ray-bradbury-internet-error-message-451

I didnt actually join the dots at first! :)