Re: Use Cases and Requirements document for WebID

On 12/11/2012 11:29 AM, Nathan wrote:
> Henry Story wrote:
>> Use-Cases:
>>     • referring to one's identity
>
> "one's"? are we excluding machine agents?

Changed that.

> I'd love to go in to detail about referring to the identity of a thing,
> but will simply propose this is swapped to "providing a reference to an
> agent", or words to that effect.
>
>>     • WebID-based authentication
>>     • WebID-based authorization
>
> WebID-compatible, or WebID-based?

Not sure what "compatible" would mean here. It's clearly about
defining how to do authentication and authorization _with_ a WebID.

>> Requirements:
>>     • one MUST be able to change one's WebID
>
> well... we MUST be able to have multiple WebIDs, and have a preferred or
> canonical one, the notion of "changing" is a bit strange within the
> timelessness of RDF.

This is data on the Web. It changes. The formulation does not prevent
an Agent from having multiple WebIDs. It just sets a requirement on
being able to change it (both the identity and the state).

>>     • one MUST distinguish a WebID (a simple URI for a Web Resource)
>> from a WebID Profile (the Web Information Resource). This SHOULD not
>> rely on dereferencing.
>
> Can we keep this to MUSTs and not SHOULDs.

I'm ok with that.

>>     • the system MUST take efficiency into account
>
> Which system? and efficiency of? (Network, Implementation, Inference and
> Querying?)

It's a general requirement. It's too hard list everything :-)

>>     • the system MUST not introduce any incompatility with LDP,
>> especially for Write operations
>
> the "especially for.." is redundant.

The problem is that many people here are not reading specs. "Write" is
a key component of the WebID-based architecture, which adds important
requirements, so I prefer to keep it explicit.

>>     • the Web Profile MUST define a default representation format
>
> can we define "the Web Profile" here, what is it, and how does it define
> a default for itself?

I meant WebID Profile, not Web Profile. Sorry.

The general meaning for WebID Profile and the distinction with WebID
is on second bullet.

>>     • the system SHOULD considerer legacy WebIDs (or FOAF/SSL)
>> whenever possible
>
> please define legacy WebIDs here and swap it to a MUST or remove
> completely.

I wanted to "please" people who have been deploying WebID-s or
FOAF/SSL. But let's be honest, this is not widely deployed, and we're
still fighting for simple goals and definitions.

I'm fine with removing completely.

Thanks for the feedback, Nathan.

Alexandre.