Re: Fwd: wwwhisper project announcement (#ACL & https://login.persona.org)

On 8/12/12 7:54 AM, Jan Wrobel wrote:
> I don't understand why you call Persona 'a silo'. Unlike for example
> Facebook ids, Persona is a distributed system. Every email provider
> can run its own verifier. If you have your own domain and a mail
> server you can also run a verification server and be in total control
> of your identity.
A silo is anything that's platform specific i.e., anything that isn't
interoperable via standards.

For Web oriented technology one has to consider the Web as the host
operating system while the Internet is the computer. Thus, if a solution
doesn't deliver interoperability at the Web infrastructure level its a
silo.

There shouldn't be any notion of email identity. You should just have
identity and its verification should be the product of leveraging
infrastructure of the host operating system.

BrowserID or any derivative is unfortunately a silo.

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen