Re: RWW Challenge : Creating a decentralized Social Net by Year End

On 9/15/11 12:44 PM, Sherman Monroe wrote:
> Ok, I think I've absorbed what you guys are saying. Questions:
>
>    1. When I click through, I'm really only visting an RDF model
>       (graph) that is being rendered by some PHP script, correct?
>       I.e., I'm not necessarily interacting with a SPARQL endpoint. Or
>       am I?

SPARQL is an implementation detail re. Linked Data. By this I mean: its
a powerful tool for publishing Linked Data Objects due to the mandatory
requirements for:

1. de-reference operations by name
2. address-of operations for actual data access
3. negotiable data representation re. actual across the wire data
serialization.

>    1. If not, then how will update be handled?

You can use HTTP to cover CRUD operations across Addresses. Now, SPARQL
protocol is HTTP based, so it too can play here. The magic lies in the
rich HTTP response metadata that allow an agent deduce what's available
from an Address [1].

>    1. Where will the PHP script place the comment I make?
>    2. Where I'm headed is, I think we'll have to assume that the PHP
>       script has access to a SPARQL DB. Which leads to my next
>       question, will queries be supported by the UI, or are you aiming
>       at just a bare minimum UI with status update, and comments.

You can RESTfully abstract CRUD operations against Addresses.

> There is a saying in linguistics, that monkeys haven't developed
> simple languages, because language is inherently complex. There are no
> simple languages. It'd be like trying to build a simple space ship. I
> don't think we can get around adding just a little more functionality
> to your model, just to get at the functions you enumerate.
>
> Also, you can't get around distribution without implying a unifier.
> The WWW was a vision of potential independence one and for all from
> monopoly, but such a reality is not possible, Yahoo and Google were
> inevitabilities. It's just the nature of reality: a center of gravity
> is always established as a system collects more mass. You should
> anticipate this as you set about to build this distributed social
> network, by establishing this unifier as a first step.
>
> Lastly, while the distribution of data is an ideal pursuit,
> distributing social graph interaction will prove more of a challenge.
> Unless you have unifier of those distributed interactions, the system
> will fall to pieces. The goal of any information technology should be
> to allow user to change and observe the state of reality. The more of
> that state I can observe in one glance, and the more of that state I
> can change in one action, the better the technology is serving its
> purpose, by more economical use of my state of awareness, which is a
> finite resource. Switching from interactive context to interactive
> context, _without a unifing context_, will waste the tremendous energy
> for user, not to mention the knowledge and leverage
> user inherently will forgo.

Its about Address, CRUD, and HTTP operations. Modern Client-Server
today, known under the contemporary moniker: REST :-)

Links:
1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/ReadWriteLinkedData
2. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html
3. http://www.w3.org/wiki/WriteWebOfData .

Kingsley

> -sherman
>

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Melvin Carvalho
> <melvincarvalho@gmail.com <mailto:melvincarvalho@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 15 September 2011 17:34, Sherman Monroe <sdmonroe@gmail.com
>     <mailto:sdmonroe@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Melvin, All,
>     > I'm game, will input in a moment after I've digested the
>     conversation.
>     >>
>     >> Keep browsing, "follow your nose" ... and we have a read only
>     social net.
>     >
>     > *Cough* don't you mean follow you "knows" :)
>
>     LOL :)
>
>     Basically once I get to the profile of someone in this group, It
>     should be possible to click through to other profiles, and leave
>     comments etc.
>
>     > -sherman
>     > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Melvin Carvalho
>     <melvincarvalho@gmail.com <mailto:melvincarvalho@gmail.com>>
>     > wrote:
>     >>
>     >> Something we've talked about for a while.
>     >>
>     >> Do we think the majority of members of this group can become
>     part of a
>     >> decentralized social net by end of year?
>     >>
>     >> I think must haves are:
>     >> 1. Status updates
>     >> 2. Wall posts
>     >> 3. Follow your nose from your FOAF
>     >>
>     >> 1,2 should be self explanatory.  (3)  Here's an example from my
>     home page:
>     >>
>     >> http://melvincarvalho.com/
>     >>
>     >> A) Click on "RDF"
>     >> B) Click on one of the foaf : knows
>     >>
>     >> Keep browsing, "follow your nose" ... and we have a read only
>     social net.
>     >>
>     >> Can we make it read write by 31st December?
>     >>
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     > -sherman
>     >
>     > Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh
>     down from
>     > the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither
>     shadow of
>     > turning.
>     > (James 1:17)
>     >

> --
>
> Thanks,
> -sherman
>
> Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down
> from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither
> [...]

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen