Re: Using Twitter as an IdP space for WebID

On 10/31/11 2:51 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 31 Oct 2011, at 16:12, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
>
>> Hello Kingsley,
>>
>> I just discovered that the WebID wiki (http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebID) seems to
>> support your position of calling your idea a WebID: "A WebID is a way to
>> uniquely identify a person, company, organization, or other agent using a URI.
>> One direct use of this concept is the protocol known as foaf+ssl...".
>>
>> Maybe the draft at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/ should
>> reflect this...
> There is a bit of a difference. Kinglsey's uri does not directly identify a person,
> but indirectly.

It does identify an agent via owl:sameAs relation in my particular data
space.

> A WebID url is semantically the name of a foaf:agent.

Yes, and in no way does that imply that I cannot give you a name in my
data space that may or may not be visible to you.

> The URL of
> an e-mail address directly refers to a mailbox, but indirectly via the foaf:mbox relation
> to a person.
>
> So the WebID protocol is focusing on this.

Yes-ish.

You can't really say that a mailto: URI refers strictly to a mailbox.
Just as you can really say a URL refers strictly to an HTML page. This
is one of the problems with identifiers that is still tripping everyone
up. The creator of an identifier is the one that knows its purpose. For
instance, Twitter creates: http://twitter.com/kidehen . I have (in my
own data space or that of my relying agent):
http://twitter.com/kidehen#this . And I make sense of that via an
owl:sameAs relation, again in my data space etc..

> But that does not stop other protocols from emerging. It is just that it is not possible for one protocol group to cover all the different ways of doing identification, not if it wants to be able to finish its project within a given timeframe. So the WebID XG is currently concentrating on getting a nice simple spec out which covers the initial WebID intuitions.

Yes.

>   So this is not an attempt to exclude others, just an attempt to make sure we finish the spec, and get it to a lever where companies, institutions and people around the world can feel confident that they have implemented something that will work with others implementations. :-)
>
> I think if people add to the webid wiki howtos on integration with other protocols, such as openid, oauth, kinglsey's idea when it is fully documented, etc, then thats all for the good.

My idea is an application of the concept of verifiable identifiers that
accentuates the fundamental concepts behind WebID. What remains a
problem is the separation of the concept of verifiable identifiers via
existing Web Architecture and syntax specifics of a spec. Both can co-exist.

We have two constituencies that do not always realize inter-relationships:

1. developers who write parsers based on syntax associated with a spec
2. end-users that want stuff to just work with minimal disruption to
what's already in place, at best they are ready to invest in conceptual
understanding of a given innovation, but that's about it.

Steve Job (most prominently, amongst many others) mastered #2, but opted
for aesthetic elegance re. UX as the solution. There are others who have
opted for alternative approaches e.g., TimBL re. binding hyperlinks to
the infrastructure of the Internet via HTTP, and then showcasing it all
via HTML based document Webs. There will always be more Web Sites than
iPads and iPhones combined :-)

Kingsley

> Henry

>>> Sorry, I don't agree.
>> Here, we stay in disagreement.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael Brunnbauer
>>
>> --
>> ++  Michael Brunnbauer
>> ++  netEstate GmbH
>> ++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
>> ++  81379 München
>> ++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
>> ++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
>> ++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
>> ++  http://www.netestate.de/
>> ++
>> ++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
>> ++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
>> ++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
>> ++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel
>>
> Social Web Architect
> http://bblfish.net/

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software