Re: Using Twitter as an IdP space for WebID

On 31 Oct 2011, at 16:12, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:

> Hello Kingsley,
>
> I just discovered that the WebID wiki (http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebID) seems to
> support your position of calling your idea a WebID: "A WebID is a way to
> uniquely identify a person, company, organization, or other agent using a URI.
> One direct use of this concept is the protocol known as foaf+ssl...".
>
> Maybe the draft at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/ should
> reflect this...

There is a bit of a difference. Kinglsey's uri does not directly identify a person,
but indirectly. A WebID url is semantically the name of a foaf:agent. The URL of
an e-mail address directly refers to a mailbox, but indirectly via the foaf:mbox relation
to a person.

So the WebID protocol is focusing on this.

But that does not stop other protocols from emerging. It is just that it is not possible for one protocol group to cover all the different ways of doing identification, not if it wants to be able to finish its project within a given timeframe. So the WebID XG is currently concentrating on getting a nice simple spec out which covers the initial WebID intuitions. So this is not an attempt to exclude others, just an attempt to make sure we finish the spec, and get it to a lever where companies, institutions and people around the world can feel confident that they have implemented something that will work with others implementations. :-)

I think if people add to the webid wiki howtos on integration with other protocols, such as openid, oauth, kinglsey's idea when it is fully documented, etc, then thats all for the good.

Henry

>>> If twitter does not use the #this hashtag to identify a
>>> person
>>> or account, you should not do it.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't agree.
>
> Here, we stay in disagreement.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer
>
> --
> ++  Michael Brunnbauer
> ++  netEstate GmbH
> ++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
> ++  81379 München
> ++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
> ++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
> ++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
> ++  http://www.netestate.de/
> ++
> ++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
> ++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
> ++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
> ++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/