Re: SNAF, NAF, and monotonicity [was: Comments on * DRAFT * Rules...]

Ok, let me rephrase what I tried to say:

1. There is obviously something about SNAF, CWA and non-monotonicity
that led Sandro to write a contradictory draft, Dan to refuse that
007car be yellow and me to make a fool of myself (well, the latter may
not have anything to do with SNAF, CWA or non-monotonicity, actually);

2. A useful way to think informally about CWA is as if it were an
inference rule (just out of curiosity, is there a short explanation, or
a pointer towards a long one, why it could not be an inference rule,
actually?): that way, I can see clearly why adding a fact can make
previous consequences false (from a purely deductive point of view, so,
without having to think about interpretations);

3. A fallacious way to think about CWA --a big no-no, don't do that,
ever, it doesn't make sense, anyway; but, still, sometimes you cannot
help-- is to assume that the world is really closed, and that we have
complete knowledge about it, and thus that we can act as if all the
missing negated facts were there, and then we just work with good ol'
classical negation. And then, of course, it happens that we forget that
it is just an assumption and, so, we are not happy when reality breaks
in and adds some facts that contradict the assumed negated facts (we are
unhappy because it contradicts our initial closed world assumption, not
because of the non-monotonicity). Could it be that Dan was careless
enough to trip into that kind of fallacy, at early some point in the
discussion?

4. On the other hand, this is what monotonic inference mechanisms do,
for all practical purpose: within the scope of the assumed closed world,
they reason monotonically; when the closed-world assumption is broken or
before it breaks, for whatever reason (and, possibly, because of actions
triggered by the inference system itself, as in a production rules
engine), the engine is made to stop and, if and when more inference are
needed, to restart with the new initial conditions. That's
non-monotonicity all right, if you consider the whole system, including
the part that causes the engine to stop when or before the CWA is
broken; but if you consider things from inside the inference engine,
there is nothing but monotonicity.

(see attached use case scenario: thanx to point out what is wrong with
it and why, if something is).

5. It is clear to me that NAF is needed if we want the RIF to be of
practical use. It is clear to me as well that the scope of NAF may need
to be specified in some way when sharing rules.

Now, what is not clear to me, is: what kind of features specific to
non-monotonicity does a rules interchange format need to have, to deal
with that use case, besides the capability to unambiguously specify the
scope of a NAF? More generally, what is not clear to me is: what kind of
features are needed in a RIF wrt non-monotony, besides the capability to
specify and scope unambiguously the nonmonotonicity-generating features
in a rule (such as NAF, default, etc)?

If the answer to the first question is: none, couldn't we repair the
draft charter (wrt that issue) by removing section 3.1 and rephrasing
section 2.9 to say that SNAF is in scope and the RIF must offer ways to
specify the scope of NAF. That is, after section 2.3 has been amended to
avoid the contradiction between such a statement and the RIF being full
FOL, of course.

Michael Kifer wrote:

> [...]
 >
> We don't need to care about anything. We just need to understand what the
> issues are and be aware of simple things that have been known for decades.
>
> This whole thread started because the draft charter contained several
> contradictions. Clearly, it is not healthy to base one's work on a document
> that is internally contradictory. All we did was to point this out.

Once you pointed out that, the issue becomes that there must be a reason
why the draft charter says that SNAF is in scope, but that NAF and
non-monotonicity are out.

So, the interesting questions are: can we remove the contradiction and
keep the intention,? And, if yes, how? And, btw, what was the intention?

Just for the avoidance of doubt: my postings on this issue are meant to
make progress on these questions (whether they do is something
different, yet), not to question the foundations of formal logic, model
theory or whatever.

Christian