Re: Output type of SELECT query (was Example of filtering an RDF stream)

On 12/4/15 8:38 AM, Gray, Alasdair J G wrote:

>> On 4 Dec 2015, at 11:32, james anderson <james@dydra.com
>> <mailto:james@dydra.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2015-12-04, at 12:00, Robin Keskisärkkä <robin.keskisarkka@liu.se
>>> <mailto:robin.keskisarkka@liu.se>> wrote:
>>>
>>> From: "Gray, Alasdair J G" <A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk
>>> <mailto:A.J.G.Gray@hw.ac.uk>>
>>> Date: Friday 4 December 2015 11:13
>>> To: Tara Athan <taraathan@gmail.com <mailto:taraathan@gmail.com>>
>>> Cc: "public-rsp@w3.org <mailto:public-rsp@w3.org>"
>>> <public-rsp@w3.org <mailto:public-rsp@w3.org>>
>>> Subject: Re: Example of filtering an RDF stream
>
> [snip]
>
>>>  1. What is the output type if we just have a SELECT clause?
>>>

>> if you intend to produce a graph, ”just a select clause" is not adequate.
>
> This is the point of my question. What is the model type of the result
> of a select query? Is it a stream of bindings?

*If we want to venture into this territory*, we could consider to have
another type of stream, which is a SPARQL query result stream.

Let's consider a particular example:
SELECT ?s ?t
WHERE {
   {?g ex:observedAt ?t}
    GRAPH ?g {?s :hasDailyAverageTempC ?o .}
    FILTER ( ?o < '20'^^xsd:decimal ) .
}

We could view the query application as applying to each element of the
input stream, creating for each application a set of solution mappings.

I have a few points of confusion:
* Would this stream be available for retransmission, or is it only
intended for consumption by a local application?
* If intended for retransmission, what constraints would we put on the
sequence of transmission (important in the case where the queries are
applied asynchronously, so there is no guarantee, in the general case,
that the query results become available for retransmission in the same
order of the input sequence).

I don't think it would make sense to view the query application as
applying to (the unified RDF dataset) the entire stream at once, as this
would result in a potentially infinite set of solution mappings, with no
clear foundation for a decomposition of this set for incremental
retransmission.

Tara