Derived Events and States (was Re: [RSP] Call Minutes)

Darko,

Regarding this text on complex events:

As stated in [1]: "Simple events happen at a single time instant, complex events start and end happening whereas facts always have a time interval during which they are valid.".

I commented this on the mailing list before, and I also added some comments in September onto the discussion page of the document you reference. Please check:
http://www.w3.org/community/rsp/wiki/Talk:RDF_Stream_Models

Once more, a complex event is - as defined by David Luckham and others who started to use the term - "an event that summarizes, represents, or denotes a set of other events" [Event Processing Glossary v. 2<https://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQFjAB&url=http://www.complexevents.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/EPTS_Event_Processing_Glossary_v2.pdf&ei=pYOrUtykJsih4gSvuIGQCA&usg=AFQjCNHAfEs0uJN-MKwUF9bYN4zhBd0HLA&sig2=syJlb_7p2SzD3427JBi8mQ&bvm=bv.57967247,d.bGE>].

As an example, let us define complex event "D", which is triggered when events "A", "B" and "C" happen within one minute. Once we have a time window of one minute containing A, B and C, D will be synthesized at that instant. D doesn't "start happening" with the first one of the triggering events. And it certainly doesn't "end happening" with the last one of them, quite the opposite.

We recognized already with the previous email discussion that the definition of complex events has problems for us (ref. my email to the list Oct 2nd): the whole Event Processing Glossary is only talking about events; it doesn't even mention states (a.k.a temporally valid facts a.k.a situations) or static facts (a.k.a slowly evolving knowledge a.k.a background information). Whereas I'm pretty sure that we would like our "complex events" to accept a combination of everything - events, states and static facts - as triggers. Therefore I tried to start working on something that we could use, and the current draft of that is in the "Concepts and Definitions<http://www.w3.org/community/rsp/wiki/Concepts_and_Definitions>" document in the wiki, available for everyone to improve on:

-----------
"Derived event": An event that summarizes, represents, or denotes a combination of zero or more events, temporally valid facts or static facts such that there is always at least one triggering event object or temporal fact to establish the time of event occurrence.

It is overloading the term "derived event", because in the EPGv2 it is defined as "an event that is generated as a result of applying a method or process to one or more other events", but at least it is a little bit less used than "complex event". Better proposals are very welcome.

Coming back to the subject of ETALIS and intervals, I understand that combining intervals (situations) using operators like AND and OR will yield intervals as answers, but those combinations of temporally valid facts are not complex events, but something else. One initial attempt has been brewing in the Concepts and Definitions document:

"Derived state": A state that summarizes, represents or denotes a combination of one or more states, zero or more static facts and zero or more events.

Summarizing, I strongly -1 statements like "complex events start and end happening", because they don't seem to make sense. Otherwise I'm happy to see support for proper handling of temporally valid facts.

BR,

Mikko