Please read asap--reCAPTCHA rewritten

Colleagues:

Per our conversations on Wednesday's RQTF teleconference, I've edited
our discussion of reCAPTCHA to use verbs that suggest mostly the past
perfect and present progressive, i.e. things may have changed when
people read our document a year or more from now. As we discussed, how
long V. 2 remains available, despite it's wide current adoption, is
completely up to Google. They can pull the switch on it anytime, as they
have on audio reCAPTCHA even since our first wide review.

https://w3c.github.io/apa/captcha/#the-google-recaptcha

Please read as soon as you can. I'm hoping to get this locked down today
so that I can also issue a Call for Consensus to APA as we also
discussed.

Note I'm also copying Angel who provided the following relevant comment:

Ángel writes:
> On 2019-05-14 at 15:13 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> The piece about reCAPTCHA V. 2 seems a bit inconsistent: it claims to be
> "recent" (without specifying a date), but it's already gone. I suspect
> it may be an old contribution that was left as-is. Could probably
> improve by changing all this paragraph to past tense.
> > One recent reCAPTCHA V. 2 innovation has seemed most promising. (...)
> > Unfortunately, as of this writing it appears that audio CAPTCHAs
> > previously available are now no longer being provided
>

> > Google is intent that a traditional CAPTCHA not be the fallback
> mechanism.
>
> It could be rephrased eg.
> "with the intent that the implemented fallback mechanism is not a
> traditional CAPTCHA."

Janina

--

Janina Sajka