Re: AW: WG: W3C M&E IG conference call: Subtitles in 360° Video and VR Experiences on the Web

Dear Chris, Andreas, All:

I am belatedly responding but hopefully with only good news.

Let me first note I was very heartened to note that several very capable
accessibility people were able to attend the teleconference.

I wanted to confirm that APA does indeed have a strong interest in
participating in XR and immersive web work at W3C. We not only see the
need to address accessibility issues such as captioning, but we also see
potential opportunities in the new technology to directly deliver
accessibility oriented solutions. Some of these have already been
discussed in our Research Questions Task Force (RQTF). There are two XR
related wiki pages at the RQTF Wiki:

https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/opensearch_desc.php

And, there will soon be yet more there.

So, while I can be a bit slow to respond, please know it's not for lack
of interest, and even not for lack of relevant activity on our side.
I'll try to be a bit more timely in forwarding relevant activity in the
future.

Let me simply close with a quick explanation of one identified
opportunity we believe merits further investigation:

We've noted the WCAG requirement to avoid asking the user to scroll left
and right in order to bring content into view. This can often cause
problematic pseudo line breaks for people relying on magnification
software, i.e. people living with low vision. This can seriously impair
presentation of STEM content, as an example.

We believe XR offers a possible approach that can eliminate artifical
line breaks that obfiscate meaning in STEM and similar content. It's a
use case I expect we will put forward. We do believe it merits testing
with real users.

Looking forward to more great developments in this field,

Janina,
APA Chair

--

Janina Sajka