CAPTCHA: Still not ready!

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:52:42 -0400
To: public-rqtf@w3.org
Cc: coga@rednote.net
Good Monday, All!

We continue to tighten our argument in CAPTCHA. Since last week's RQTF
call. Regretably, I believe there's still more to do on this sisyphian
document. As ever the Editor's Draft is here:

https://w3c.github.io/apa/captcha/

***The Good News***

*	More is said about cognitive and learning disabilities. See the
*	first paragraph at
	https://w3c.github.io/apa/captcha/#the-accessibility-challenge:

	NOTE: There's still time to say more!

	*	Sec. 3 has been reorganized, and Secs. 4 and 5
	*	incorporated. After all, they're all multi-party
	*	approaches. It was illogical to make them separate.

	*	The verbs used discussing reCAPTCHA have been changed
	*	yet again, this time toward using more present
	*	progressive constructs. Two factors drove this: a.) I've
	*	found audio reCAPTCHAs still being available; b.) I've
	*	found the Google reCAPTCHA FAQ announcing that V. 2 is
	*	not going away. That document is now hyperlinked, and
	*	the paragraph noting that the content provider decides
	*	on fallback under V. 3 edited accordingly.

*	The potential benefits of Turing Tokens now have their own
*	separate section here:
	https://w3c.github.io/apa/captcha/#why-not-federated-turing-tokens

*	The list items in our Conclusion section are rewritten somewhat
*	and now appear as an ordered list.

***The Bad News***

Our discussion of Federated Identity Systems and of Single
*	Sign-On Systems now appears quite inadequate to me, especially
*	in the light of what we've discovered and written about Turing
*	Tokens.

I'm mulling two potential solutions:

1.)	Remove Federated Identity and Single Sign-On. They don't really
add anything that describes their role in Turing testing.

2.)	Combine them into a single section, because the industry is
itself fairly confused about a bright line between them. Then, blast
them for ignoring Turing testing entirely as though authenticating
logins was the only requirement.

I'm of two minds on the above as I write this. I'm eager to hear
opinions.

Best,

Janina

--