Re: [RIF UCR] Publication plan for the next UCR version

Hi Adrian,

Your email brings up several interesting points.

With regard to the purpose of the use cases: I  do realize how they came
about, historically. (I was one of the developers of the original use case
on medical decision making.) You are right that they were intended to
motivate the development of RIF. Along the way, they also seem to have
acquired other uses, including motivating requirements. At some point,
moreover, uses cases often function as checkpoints of sorts: being able to
express a use case within whatever language/system has been developed
lends validity to the enterprise. Much the same happened here.

This is why there has been for a while an effort to produce code for the
use cases. Not having code would seem to imply that the use case
*couldn't* be handled within the current RIF dialects. But there seem to
be use cases for which there is currently no code, which ought to be
formalizable within RIF. Examples include: Interchanging Rule Extensions
to OWL,  BPEL Orchestration of Rule-Based Web Services (it's currently in
some sort of Prolog-like formalization, which isn't legal BLD),
Integrating Production Systems in Cases of Business Mergers, Managing
Inter-Organizational Business Policies and Practices. There are also cases
like Access to Business Rules or Supply Chain Partners, which I believe
can be done in FLD (though I have to check the latest version of FLD to
make sure).

So, I do think that it would be worthwhile to modify the UCR to formalize
these cases, which I hope to do in the next week.

With regard to the categorization: You are correct that there are some
cases which can be formalized in multiple dialects. There are several ways
we could handle this. (1) We could add a paragraph specifying that some
use cases can be formalized in several dialects, and then mention that
fact when the particular use cases are given. (2) We could do away with
the categorization, but mention those use cases that can be formalized in
multiple dialects.

I believe  (1) is preferable as a pedagogical device: It helps readers
more easily see how the different dialects can be used.

This segues into the issue of having a tutorial/primer document for RIF,
and what the possible connections would be between the UCR document and
the tutorial/primer document. I'll address this in the next email.

Best regards,
Leora