Re: Importing RIF documents from RDF - last attempt

On 2010-03-18 17:35, Axel Polleres wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2010, at 16:01, Jos de Bruijn wrote:
>
>> I see what you mean. An implementation that does not take one of the
>> imports into account does not follow the spec.
>
> Actually, the other way around:
> An implementation that takes rif:imports (that is the imports directive
> in the RDF Graph G) into account in the way I proposed, does - strictly
> speaking - not follow the SWC spec.
>
> However, I hope we can get around this, if we define in SPARQL just
> what the "corresponding RIF-RDF-combination" to a graph mentioning
> rif:imports is.
>
>> Now, concerning the rif:imports. Could you explain me again why it is a
>> good idea to extend the RDF semantics to include RIF-RDF combinations?
>
> We want a handle from RDF to RIF,  just as "Imports()" gives you a handle
> from RIF to RDF. We don't want to extend the RDF semantics, but the semantics
> of RIF-RDF combinations.

It is in fact an extension of the RDF semantics. If you use plain simple
entailment you have fewer entailments than when you use RIF-Simple
entailment.

>> I understand that you want to use SPARQL to query RIF-RDF combinations.
>> How does the syntactic construct in RDF help?
>
> From SPARQL we can only query RDF Graphs, or, more precisely RDF Datasets.
> Entailment regimes, can only extend Basic GHraph pattern matching in SPARQL,
> i.e. what a graph means. [1]:
> That is, an entailment regime  can define the scoping graph for an
> RDF Graph G under RDFS Entailment to be a particulalar
> canonically defined RDFS entailed graph G'. Similar for OWL.
>
> So, in a RIF-Entailment regime, we need to say what the Graph "means" wrt. RIF,
> but there we need a handle to RIF, such that we can define that scoping graph
> as a graph entailed by the RIF-RDF-combination defined by rif:imports triples.
> We have no means to refer directly to a RIF ruleset from SPARQL, but only to
> RDF Datasets.

I see what you mean. Why not add the possibility to refer to something
else than an RDF dataset? This seems cleaner than defining a same-syntax
semantic extension of RDF. As you may have gathered, I don't like such
extensions ;)

>>  Why not have implicit
>> rulesets (like the implicit datasets) and give the user the possibility
>> to refer to a RIF ruleset from the query?
>
> You also don't want to fix the ontology for OWL Entailment, but anyways
> OWL fits a bit better with the RDF dataset idea, since you can express OWL
> in RDF, or import OWL ontologies, so we are safe there.
>
> Extending the definition of Dataset towards something else then RDF Graphs
> is outside the scope of entailment extensions in SPARQL.

It might make sense to bring it in scope.
Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Cheers, Jos