From: Gary Hallmark [mailto:gary.hallmark@oracle.com]
Sent: lundi 17 novembre 2008 02:23
To: Patrick Albert
Cc: kifer@cs.sunysb.edu; Dave Reynolds; Boley, Harold; Adrian Paschke;
Axel Polleres; RIF WG
Subject: Re: RIF Core shortened

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your comments.  I think you are right that a

PRD->typical-PR-engine translator really cannot reasonably implement

unrestricted membership formulas.  I told you trying to have a useful

Core was making me schizo :-)

Can we allow # and ## in Core in rule conditions and *unconditional*

rule conclusions?  Would that make everyone happy?

Patrick Albert wrote:

> Hi Garry,

> I don not think, that your proposal of allowing asserting a new class

> an already existing objects fits the PRD.

> Some PR systems have supported this feature, but it is in fact quite

> complex because such systems have a strong interpretation of the

> instantiation -- much more than asserting the belonging to the new

> class. Inheritance is taken into account as well as the management new

> attributes, the new types of the existing attributes, the changes in
the

> domain, and eventually the rules that become applicable to the object

> because of its new class and should be triggered.

> In some systems, such as constraint-based PRs, changing the class of
an

> object would trigger an failure, while others would just don't care.

> So though it might be seen a limitation -- which indeed it is --

> not changing the class of an object is a core feature of PR systems.

> What we can expect to see is that such features will happen at some

> point in time, and will probably be implemented in conjunction with
OWL

> or its successors if any.

> About the translators, except for the trivial cases, there will be a

> need for a DSL to declare the mapping between non trivial constructs
of