Re: a try at defining compliance

Michael Kifer wrote:
> following today's discussion, I put in a wiki page with a slightly more
> polished definition of compliant producers and consumers.
> Please see http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Compliance

I have no problems with this as a definition of a conformant processor.

There are two other conformance related notions we *might* want to have.

First, we might want to define Document Conformance (c.f.
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/#docConformance). That way an editor could
claim to produce conformant RIF documents. For RIF BLD would a
conformant document be one that validates according the schema or one
that validates and for which each symbol can be assigned to a unique
partition of Const and a unique arity?  I assume the latter.

Second, we might want the notion of a "consistent D(T,E) consumer".
A RIF processor is a consistent D(?,?) consumer iff there is a
semantically-preserving mapping from a subset of all D(?,?) formulas to
the language L of the processor.

[A long time ago we used the terms "implements" and "conforms" for these
two notions, but since we are now using "conforms" more strictly I
needed a term for the weaker notion, an alternative to "consistent"
might be "compliant".]

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England