Re: DTB status (on today's agenda)

> Sandro Hawke wrote:
> >> Let me reiterate (for the third time) my extremely simple compromise
> >> proposal.  Here expand(foo) means substitute with the prefix definition of
> >> foo.
> >>
> >> 1. Standalone occurrence:
> >>     foo:bar ---> "expand(foo)bar"^^"http://www.w3.org/2007/rif#iri"
> >>
> >> 2. A ^^-occurrence:
> >>     "abc"^^foo:bar ----> "abc"^^"expand(foo)bar"
> >
> > I can live with this, if we don't use "^^".   This was the second option
> > in my e-mail, although I accidentally expanded bar as well.
> >
> > The problem with ^^ is that it's very distinctive and is used in other
> > semantic web languages.  But in those languages, it's followed by a URI
> > constant not a string constant.    So I'd have to object that re-using
> > ^^ with this kind of type difference is too confusing to users.
>
> I thought that in RIF ^^ is also always followed by an IRI constant?

As Michael writes [1]:

    In foo^^bar, neither `foo' nor `bar' is a constant. Only the entire
    foo^^bar is.

That tells me the ^^ in RIF is not followed by an IRI constant.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2008May/0001.html

> I think we should stick with the ^^ in RIF, because its use actually
> generalizes the use in the other semantic Web languages.

I don't see any way to reconcile Michael's view here with the N3-style
languages.

Michael is okay with this:

(1) "http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator"^^"http://www.w3.org/2007/rif#iri"

but has a real problem with this:

(2) "http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator"^^<http://www.w3.org/2007/rif#iri>

Whereas only (2) is okay in N3-style languages.  In those languages:

    <foo>    denotes the thing identied by the URI "foo"
    "foo"    denotes a character string

right?

       -- Sandro