Re: [PRD] Issues to resolve before publication (et proposed resolutions)

Christian de Sainte Marie wrote:
> Gary Hallmark wrote:
>>>
>>> #8. Section 2.3.1.2 (Forall): Gary does not want the CMP example to
>>> be presented with binding patterns. On the other hand, they are
>>> included in this version of RIF-PRD because all the mainstream PR
>>> languages use them, and there is an editr's note asking for feedback
>>> about them and the nested forall: so, providing an example makes sense.
>>
>> I want binding patterns to go away.  They are trivially converted to
>> the BLD format and though they may have their place in legacy PR
>> languages, they have no place in RIF.  I don't want any new material
>> added to the spec that mentions these.  I want them all gone
>> eventually, even if I can't have that for FPWD.
>
> Weird... As I understand it, it is exactly because they have their
> place in existing PR languages (actually, they are widely used),  that
> they have their place in RIF.
as I said, they are trivially converted to BLD format and that is the
job of the RIF translator

> I do not quite understand what is RIF, if it is not an interchange
> format that is usable and useful for what you call "legacy" production
> rule languages;
show me how the standard BLD format is not usable for PRD
> that is, if it does not cover the syntactic features that are widely used.
we aren't designing the PL/1 of rule languages with a bit of syntax
drawn from every major rule language as some sort of tribute.  We are
trying to get translators to map to a small common syntax/semantics to
facilitate interchange
> RIF would have to cover such features even if we all agreed that they
> are ugly and that they should not be used; which is not the case, of
> course :-)
RIF BLD covers this "pattern" feature just fine without any of your
proposed PRD extensions.

> Why "legacy", btw? I can imagine plenty of interesting feature in
> future PR languages that would require binding patterns...
So now we are justifying this divergence of PRD and BLD with imaginary
future PR languages?

> Or are you suggesting that RIF should be designed as a "better" PR
> language (rather than as a common xml serialisation for many, existing
> and futrue, production rule languages)?
I'm damn near shouting that PRD should be as similar to BLD as possible to
a. have a common Core
b. reuse and leverage the considerable amount of work that has gone into
BLD/FLD, DTB, and UCR
c. have a common "look and feel" to the document suite

> Designing a better production rule language is certainly a worthy
> endeavour. But it is not the objective for PRD, not the first attempt
> to a standard common xml serialisation for production rule languages.
It seems like you are just randomly trying to change the argument here.
Nowhere have I suggested this...