Re: [RIF] IRIs for profiles

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> [we should take this to WG list soon]

Done :)

For the information of the other working group participants: we were
discussing the IRIs used for RDF/OWL import profiles.  See below first
my original e-mail, then Sandro's reply, and after that my reply to his
reply :-)

>> What would be better IRIs for specifying the RDF/OWL import profiles?
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2007/rif-import-profile#XXX
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2008/rif-import-profile#XXX
>> ?
>>
>> I originally used 2008, but I noticed that all other RIF namespaces are
>> in 2007.
>
> Whether we use 2008 or 2007 is up to us.   I'd lean toward 2007 for the
> reason you note.

Fine with me.

> What about just using the rif namespace?     rif:OWL-DL ?

I would be fine with that.  However, this does seem to go against the
design "principle" we decided on for built-ins, where we created two new
namespaces, one for predicates, and one for functions.

> The real question in my mind is whether the URLs should be the same as
> are used by owl:intendedProfile (assuming that gets adopted), in which
> case it might be   owl:OWL-DL or owl2:OWL-DL.       Ugh.

Yes, this would make sense.
But do you think the OWL working group will specify profiles for OWL 1.0?

> Maybe we can raise the matter with OWL-WG quickly.

Could you raise this matter?

> Another option which I'm kind of liking is:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/2008/profile#OWL-DL
>
> which could be used by RIF, OWL, and anything else.
>
> (Then, I'm wondering whether to call it OWLDL, OWL-DL, OWL_DL, or the
> lowercase versions of those.   And whether to throw in a "1".   I'm torn
> mostly between OWL-DL and OWL_DL.)

I'm basically fine with any IRI scheme you pick :-) I'm trusting you to
make sure it follows good Web practice :-)

Best, Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it
+390471016224         http://www.debruijn.net/