Re: BLD: externally defined frames

Christian,
it is neither of the three interpretations, Iif I understood what you meant.
I am saying once again: it is all about how you *****MODEL***** external
sources in your particular RIF document. It is PRECISELY the same as with
predicates. There is no magic or mystry here. It is all very SIMPLE.
You are just confusing yourself trying to find in there what is not anywhere
near that thing that you are looking at.

There is no such a thing as "an externally specified function".
RIF does not use any externally specified functions and it is not even clear
what this might mean. A particular system might use externally specified
functions *if* it has a mechanism to invoke them. But this cannot be assumed
about most of the systems, and RIF should not and cannot make such an
assumption.

When I model something my application, I have a choice of using different
constracts.  I can choose to use a predicate, a frame, a foobar. This has
little to do with how things exist externally. Think of a database system, for
example. DBMSs are not defined as objects by their vendors, but interfaces like
JDBC view them as such. This model, which is built into Java, has little to do
with how some Oracle engineers view their DBMS (or what this DBMS really
is). It has everything to do with how Java engineers view it.

Clear now?

	--michael