Re: namespace prefix definitions in presentation syntax

Michael Kifer wrote:
>> Michael Kifer wrote:
>>> The RIF specification says that curies are NOT to be used in XML
>> Sure, in XML syntax I can use the "regular" namespace mechanism of XML.
>> no problem, I know how to do this.
>
> Note that curies are NOT namespaces. They are just a macro mechanism, which
> is not a standard in XML.

This is something I could live with (RDF/XML does as well... I mean not
that I want to out myself as big RDF/XML fan but that particular aspect
I personally could live with.)

>>> only
>>> absolute URIs. In the presentation syntax they are used as an informal
>>> shorthand.
>> So, if I understand this correctly -  that there are no curies in the
>> presentation syntax - then what I just suggest is just to formalize the
>> informal shorthand use in RIF presentation syntax a bit, by adopting one
>> of the ways other standards define it... shouldn't cause major trouble,
>> or no? I am having major pain writing down examples otherwise...
>
> The presentation syntax is not a parseable syntax anyway. Many things have
> been left unspecified, including delimiters etc. At attempt to give a
> standard syntax to curies will create a wrong impression that they are part
> of the syntax, while they are not. For instance, when is a curie a curie?
> In what contexts should a:b be expanded? Into what exactly should it be
> expanded?  For instance, in "xsd:string"^^rif:iri and
> "xsd:string"^^xsd:string, what is to be expanded and what not?
>
> If you start formalizing the curies you would have to go over all that
> stuff and will get bogged down with the other details of the syntax. This
> is precisely what we do not want to do now.

Ok, I see.

> At the same time, I am not against developing a normative RIF presentation
> syntax. If we decide to do this (there were numerous objections to this in
> the past), then a separate task force could do this. However, i do not
> think we should be doing this now --- too much unfinished work hanging over
> this group.

Hmmm, just thought this was an easy issue which we could resolve
quickly, but point taken.

Axel