Re: To embed or combine

For most use cases the approaches are interchangeable, because the
embedding actually consists of algorithms for checking satisfiability
and entailment according to the model-theoretic semantics.
The entailments which can be computed through the embedding are the same
as which hold according to the model-theoretic semantics. This is
analogous to a forward-chaining algorithm which computes the minimal
Herbrand model, and hence all entailments, of a set of Datalog rules.

So, assuming we are only interested in entailment, the choice boils down
to (a) definition style, i.e. operational versus model-theoretic
semantics, and (b) compliance with the W3C RDF semantics standard; the
model-theoretic semantics for combinations builds on the standard
notions defined in the RDF semantics document, whereas the operational
semantics does not.

Best, Jos