Re: To embed or combine

I think people got bogged down in the details and did not quite understand
the simple message that I was trying to send (in several short emails).

1. An embedding of RDF into RIF is necessary (or at least desirable), since
   a. It tells people how to exchange RDF through rif.
   b. Provides simple means of combining rif with rdf.

2. A model-theoretic semantics (in addition to 1) is redundant.
   After all this exchange Jos failed to convince (me at least)
   that it is of much use.

3. A model-theoretic semantics without 1 is practically useless, since this
   basically tells people to go and invent 1 on their own.
   (One needs some kind of embedding in order to make any sense out of
   rif anyway.)

So, my message is that the combined model theory is just
yet-another-thing-to-read-but-is-practically-useless.

We all can live with 1+2 in the document. The question is whether we want
to include stuff that is pretty much useless and makes the document more
complex.

	--michael