Re: RDF and (a subsets of) F-Logic

> The embedding in section 3.1 seems a straightforward transcription of
> RDF (w/o datatypes) and the associated RDFS inference rules into an
> F-logic molecules notation. In the way you are using it is there
> anything which makes this different from a notational variant on a
> simple triple(s,p,o) predicate?
This is indeed a notational variant, if one restricts oneself to only
this kind of molecules.

> BTW in our own applications we do make use of what you call
> "higher-order" features (especially in queries and in rules) and make
> some use of "non-classical" (though those latter uses can often be
> addressed by some sort of layered approach).
What you mean with "non-classical" in this context? Do you mean things
like nonmonotonic negation?

> In section 5 is there a reason that your "RDF interaction axioms" are
> one way?  If one were trying to use this embedding as a way to perform
> inference over RDF then you'd want the reverse direction as well.
There are slight differences in the semantics of the subclass constructs
in F-Logic and the RDF subclass constructs. In F-Logic, every individual
is a subclass of itself, whereas in RDF, only individuals of type
rdfs:Class are subclass of themselves.

> [Minor:
>   - I didn't spot the definition of bl(S), I assume it is just the set
> of blank nodes in S
You are right.  Thanks for spotting this.
>   - in Definition 2 I suspect you mean ".. or
> ContainerMembershipProperty, Resource, Class or Property occurs in *a
> non-class position in* S."]
Actually, no.  When considering such direct embeddings of extensional
RDFS, we specifically want to avoid situations where some identifier can
be made a subclass of ContainerMembershipProperty, Resource, Class or
Property, or one of these identifiers can be made a subclass of some
other identifier; this would change the semantics of the language
constructs; in that case the direct embedding would no longer work,
because it hard-wires the semantics of some of the RDFS language constructs.
I think it would have been possible to allow them as the object of an
rdf:type triple (this would need to be verified).

Best, Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn,        http://www.debruijn.net/
+43 512 507 6475         jos.debruijn@deri.org