Re: Datasets, blackboxes and frames

> >> Sparql is a candidate recommendation from the W3C.  If you find
> >> something wrong with it, there are open channels (not academic
> >> publications) in which you can state any objection.
> >
> > SPARQL is a hack because it does not have model theory. They decided to
> > relegate it to an appendix, and it does not exactly match the graph
> > matching algorithm that they use. The algorithm currently used is a hack
> > and so is their named graph idea. But all this can be approximated with a
> > traditional model theory, which is what we should do in RIF.
>
> Yes, yes, but I'm not talking about sparql in general; You had said
> Sparql named graphs are a hack, and I am asking you to be more
> specific.  What in particular about sparql named graphs do you find
> objectionable?

Perhaps you can tell me what is a "named graph" from the logical point of view?

> > I do not need to state my objections because this is well-known and a
> > number of people in the SPARQL group have already raised it before
> > (unsuccessfully). In fact, we discussed this with you and Enrico when you
> > were in Bolzano.
>
> We did not talk about named graphs in particular, but anyway *my*
> point is that you share your technical objections with the group
> (where they impact RIF).
>
> >> If you think there are problems with it that are relevant to RIF,
> >> please state them.  Stating that it is "a hack" doesn't help at all.
> >
> > Fortunately, we are not dependent on SPARQL. All we need is to provide some
> > kind of interface. Since they refused to give a normal model theory to
> > their language, it makes our (RIF) job easy: it is just a built-in with a
> > black-box semantics.
>
> Yes, but we seem in agreement that some kind of KB partitioning is in
> order for RIF as well.  Why not named graphs?

Because I do not know what a named graph is in a theory like RIF core.
I know what scoped inference is, but named graphs are defined using graphs,
not formulas and not using the notion of logical inference.

This is why I am saying that named graphs are a hack that more or less
corresponds to scoped inference.

	cheers
	  --michael