Re: Issues with classification a#b, a##b

Paul Vincent wrote:

> Gary - good point. But what would be the point of rules without the
> data/datamodel upon which the rules are based?

I don't know.  It seems kind of pointless to have a rule interchange
format without a data model interchange format.
And because clearly the RIF needs to reference the data model, you can't
avoid tying the RIF to the "DMIF".  Therefore, you might as well talk
about at least a rudimentary data model in RIF.  As I've been saying,
for my needs, some kind of frame type and generic lists are good enough.

> Your scenario is more like "Oracle user tries to review a partial
> system transaction made up only of a RIF rules doc but missing
> associated schema reference" - I'm not convinced this is an important
> use case...

That's not a desirable use case.  That's what happens if RIF has no
usable data model.
A "schema reference" is not a usable data model.  RIF rules reason on
uniterms and frames.  How do I turn a schema reference into statically
typed uniterms and frames?

--

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Gary Hallmark | Architect | +1.503.525.8043