Focusing RIF work in task forces

Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com> writes:

> At today's telecon we discussed the possibility of creating dedicated
> task forces within RIF to help better focus the existing work and move
> it forward, and to help clarify some of the fundamental issues that
> have been slowing our progress.
>
> In particular, we would like to form two task forces
>
> 1) Horn TF: would be responsible for finishing the current spec and
> changing its name from "RIF Core" to "RIF Horn Dialect" or something
> similar.
>
> 2) PR TF: would be responsible for defining a production rule dialect
> based as much as possible on what has already been done in the horn
> dialect (the abstract syntax and any semantics that makes sense).
>
> Focusing these task forces in this way would address several issues,
> most importantly the issue that defining a common core does not seem
> possible without a well defined definition of what it will be the core
> for.  Thus, when these two task forces finish, we should have enough
> information to meaningfully address the "how core is core" type of
> questions by identifying the intersection of the two dialects.
>
> The other key aspect of this proposal is renaming the existing
> specification the "Horn Dialect" instead of the "Core".  I believe
> once we consider it in that light, it will be easier to finish the spec.
>
> We would like to pass some resolutions on this at the next telecon, if
> you have any opinions on them please feel free to express them to the
> list.
>
> The resolutions will be, roughly:
>
> PROPOSED: Create two task forces in RIF, one for PR and one for Horn.
> PROPOSED: Rename the RIF Core "RIF Horn Dialect"
> PROPOSED: Create a "RIF PR Dialect"

We'll need to explain this to world when we next publish (and maybe on
our web page, sooner).  Currently, we have core published at

    http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-core/

I propose, if we approve this approach, that we publish the next draft
at rif-horn and at rif-core we publish a short stub saying:

        The Rule Interchange Format (RIF) Working Group has identified
        difficulties with using Horn logic as the common core for
        RIF. Successors to the 30 March 2007 version of "RIF Core
        Design" (which specified a core based on Horn logic) will
        therefore now be published as the "RIF Horn Dialect".  When a
        new common core is specified, it will be published as a new
        version of this "RIF Core" document.

... or something like that.

      -- Sandro