Re: [Arch] Action 319

Looks great to me Axel, very helpful. A couple of comments/questions ...

Axel Polleres wrote:

> Dialect1: For Dialect1 we need a syntactic condition over the
>    ruleset for being stratified. Sine this is not a condition which
>    we can "express" in asn06, I could use the LP-style constraint
>    approach, proposed during the one but last f2f, see:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2007Feb/att-0083/RIFRAFOntology.pdf

Seems like a good way to formally express the constraints in the
specification.

[I don't think it would be needed at runtime since any stratified
reasoner would already have stratification checking built in and would
be able reject an un-stratified ruleset.]

> Dialect2: For Dialect2, I need to restrict all uses of naf to wfnaf.
>
> Dialect3: For Dialect3, I need to restrict all uses of naf to smnaf.
>

> I could think of RIF Core as Dialect0 here, whereI need to restrict
> CONDITIONS not to contain any naf.
>
> I could think of a super-dialect 4 which though has an unclear semantics
> mixing well-founded and stable semantics. Results on the logical
> formalisation of both, stable and well-founded negation under one
> framework [3,4,5,6,7] could serve as a basis, but I would still consider
> this a topic of research and not (yet) a RIF issue, since also these
> works cover mostly the propositional case only.

An alternative is to only have NAF in the CONDITION syntax and to label
the whole ruleset indicating the intended semantics (well-founded,
stable, stratified).

Originally I thought we were going to do that sort of thing via metadata
flags. I understand Sandro's comments to imply that we should rather
have different subclasses of RULESET for sets with different intended
semantics - RULESET-STRAT, RULESET-SM, RULESET-WF.

That would avoid the issue of how to interpret within-rule mixing of sm
and wf semantics (though I'm ignorant of the literature on that).

> Issues/questions:
> -----------------
>
> - May I subclass classes and reuse their properties as I do here for
> naf,wsnaf,smnaf?

I believe so.

> - If I add some subclasses to CONDITION, as proposed here for extending
> Core, would I not change the menaing of CONDITION and thus RULESET, anf
> thus Core? Or would I need to redefine CONDITION/RULESET by new classes
> in such an extension?

Not sure but the above is a possible argument for doing so anyway.

> Compatibility/Semantics:
> ------------------------
>
> *  FWD Compatibility:  "A RIF dialect is forward compatible if a
> conformant implementation will process instances of any future or
> unknown extension according to the specification of the said
>    extension."
>
>  I'd guess Core is unlikely to be Forward compatible towards
>  Stratified Normal Logic Programs as described here,
>  however, by ignoring
>    (i)  all naf atoms with predicate symbols not occurring in any
>         rule head in the rule set
>    (ii) deleting all rules involving naf, after
>         applying (i)
>  one could achieve a soundness-preserving treatment.

Transform (i) is, of course, a whole-ruleset pattern and beyond the
fallback machinery proposed so far. However, transform (ii) on its own
would still be sound (just a bit over cautious) and seems within at
least the spirit of the current proposal.

So what happens under the suggestion of ruleset labelling?

If the fallback for RULESET-STRAT was RULESET then a dialect 0 processor
given dialect 1 would treat it as a horn ruleset but would either abort
if it found a rule containing NAF, or apply your transform (ii) if that
was supported. That seems correct.

Similarly the fallback for RULESET-WF and RULESET-SM would be RULESET-STRAT.

It seems to me a minimum level of forward compatibility would be that if
a ruleset was written in a dialect with negation but didn't use any
negation at all then it should be interpretable by dialect 0 system. If
we do whole-ruleset labelling then this does seem to require that we
have minimal fallback machinery able to fallback ruleset labels.

> * Backward compatibility: Dialects 2 and 3 should both be backwards
> compatible with Dialect 1. However, I am not sure about whether/what we
> mean by backwards compatiblity with Core. I'd guess, e.g. the logics
> presented in [6] could serve as a backwards compatible extension of
> Horn towards Dialect1 and Dialect3.

Presumably backward compatibility means that any dialect 1 (or 2 or 3)
processor presented with a dialect 0 ruleset would arrive at the same
entailments as dialect 0. Wouldn't this be automatically true in this
case? I'm afraid I don't know [6] and don't quite understand what the
issue is here.

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England