Re: [Arch] ACTION-259 Start OWL/RDF compatibility section of Arch document

Axel Polleres wrote:

>>> - how we'd deal with results of rule(set)s? ie. if we have a frame
>>>   s[p->o] in the head of a rule (where s,p,o is a variable skolem
>>>   term, literal, iri, etc), it might well not be a valid RDF
>>>   triple, so my question is, for N3 like rules, how would we ensure
>>>   that the result is getting back to RDF again. Do we need/want that?
>>>
>>>   (Here, e.g. SPARQL takes the approach
>>>   to simply ignore all non RDF triples, and only consider valid RDF
>>>   triples as consequences)
>>

>> Here, again, SPARQL uses an ugly syntactic means for getting rid of
>> non-well-formed RDF: triples with literals or bnodes in inconvenient
>> places are simply discarded. I would argue that we do not want any such
>> arbitrary filtering in RIF.
>
> Hmmm, but what's the alternative?
>
>> In any case, I do not think it is up to this working group to decide how
>> people should construct RDF graphs from query answers obtained using
>> rules exchanged with RIF.
>
> If we see the interoperation with RDF only one-way then yes, but I am
> not sure whether all of the WG like that (I myself would, apart from
> possible technical difficulties love to have the possibility to export
> rules results/models/inferred atoms back to RDF)

I don't think RIF should limit the ability of rules to construct triples
which violate the RDF syntactic restrictions.

There are two reasons for this:

1. The RDF Core working group envisaged that a future revision of the
RDF spec might lift some of those restrictions and designed the
semantics to make this possible. This was particularly in reference to
the restrictions on literals which are an accident of the RDF/XML
syntax. There is no such revision currently scheduled but it is
certainly a future option to be aware of.

2. Practice shows that rulesets, including the RDFS closure rules, that
violate those restrictions can be useful. For example, look at the rules
5a and 5b of the rhoDF paper already discussed. Those are not needed in
systems which allow unrestricted intermediate triples to be deduced.

In terms of the reverse transformation then I think we should define the
reverse transformation but leave it up to processors how to handle
syntactically ill-formed triples. I.e. a processor would be free to
filter syntactically ill-formed triples, abort processing or continue
processing if targeting a language with fewer restrictions (e.g. N3
permits literals in subject and predicate positions).

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England