Re: Approaching an XML syntax for RIF

> Boley, Harold wrote:
>
> > For an Interchange Format, fully striped syntax carries too much
> > baggage that can be easily reconstructed by a 'stripe expander'.
>
> I understand that and, yes, you keep all the benefits of
> forward/backward compatibility. But what would be the purpose of
> skipping stripes when serializing, if you have to re-expand them before
> deserializing anyway?

You don't necessarily have to -- that's just one way to implement it.

> I would be in favor of keeping RIF processing as simple as possible,
> even if the result is ugly (I mean, I wonder how many people will adopt
> RIF because its XML is beautiful; and how many will drop it if it is
> ugly :-)

That is the question...

> Anyway, stripe-skipping (whether or not to skip stripes and which
> stripes) is a side issue in Sandro's proposal on how we approach the XML
> syntax for RIF, and we do not need to make a decision anytime soon, do we?

We need to decide what goes in the first RIF Core draft, don't we?

I lean towards using stripe-skipping (as is there now, more or less), to
reduce the risk of people looking at the first example XML and deciding
RIF stinks because of the super-ugly XML.  :-)   But maybe the people who
matter wont decide so lightly.

   -- Sandro