Re: an idea -- using different literal classes for each datatype

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> >> Sandro Hawke wrote:
> > The issue here is how many extensibility points there are.  I am kind of
> > liking the idea of having exactly one: every dialect has a different
> > syntax, and the inputs/outputs you process can be completely summed up
> > by naming which dialects you process.  If a system implements BLD and
> > also the datatype xs:double, then we just say it handles a new dialect
> > (which, somewhere, is defined to be BLD along with an xs:double
> > subclass, as above.)
>
> I prefer the notion that things like primitive datatypes are modular and
> you can support an additional datatype without having to define a new
> dialect.

The current version of BLD allows that. You can use any ^^foo you like
provided foo is not one of the pre-defined names.

However, this does not have the provision of restricting the lexical space
of these "unknown" data types. (Do not know if you care about it.)