Re: Issue-12 and the next UCR draft

Dave Reynolds wrote:
> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> These are not rule languages, but rule engines. The language they
>> support is N3.
>
> They certainly both use the N3 syntax for rules, I wasn't sure if they
> supported the same range of operators and builtins these days and so
> whether they are really equivalent implementations of a single language.

> Jos?

I plan to complete the implementation of the builtins at
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/CwmBuiltins.html
but I also have experiments going on with
http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/log-rules.n3
(the actual implementation of builtins is in
http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2006/02swap/euler.yap)

>> Good luck :)
>
> Let me be clear on this. I'm not saying "the working group must do this"

> I'm saying "the working must say clearly whether it is doing this or
not".

> Personally, about 2 hours into the first f2f meeting I suspected the
> answer was probably going to end up as "no, we're not". I just want
> clarity, partly for expectation setting, and partly (being parochial
> here) because it will affect how HP regards my time being spent in RIF.
>
>> There are deep issues with BNodes that have hurt us in SPARQL, and I
>> think most extant SemWeb rule languages largely punt on them. It would
>> be good to deal with them properly. (e.g., are BNodes scoped to the
>> document? Even when they appear in rules?)
>
> Agreed there are dragons there.

I'm in favor of a semantic web rule language that can simply run :-)