Re: asn06 take 2 (Abstract Syntax as a kind of ontology?)

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
>> Thinking more about the abstract syntax question, I find myself
>> wondering how an abstract syntax is really different from an ontology.
>> Is there any practical difference between an ontology of Horn rules and
>> an abstract syntax for Horn rules?
>

> One possible difference is that in an abstract syntax you can say
> whether ordering is significant or not.  Sure, as you argue, one benefit
> is that you can say "ordering is not significant here" but you can also
> (at least in ASN.1) say "ordering *is* significant here". Or perhaps
> that is just a feature of ASN.1 rather than of abstract syntax notations
> in general.
>
> However, I think an ontology is closer to want we actually want for RIF
> and the only places we need to preserve order (e.g. in function/relation
> arguments) can be handled in an ontology.

What I read, here (and that was already my impression before), is that
UML would be even better than OWL (except for not being a W3C standard,
of course :-)

What are the drawbacks of UML (apart from the ones we already discussed:
interchange within the WG, but that is just a question of agreeing on a
format; and not everybody being familiar, but that is true of OWL too,
isn't it?)? A plus for UML could be that implementors might be more
likely to know it.