Re: proposed: use abstract syntax notation (asn06)

Michael Kifer wrote:

>>> The attribution of "useless" and "harmful" is very clear in the above, and
>>> it doesn't refer to Sandro's proposal as such.
>>> The "useless" and "harmful" refers to going out of the way to ensure that
>>> XML syntax doesn't order the terms.
>>>

>> OK, then you haven't understood the proposal.  It is not about ordering,
>>

> I think I did understand. Ordering was one and the only issue that was
> mentioned as an advantage.

?  Not sure what you are trying to achieve here.  The main
issue/advantage is role naming.

>> it is about identifying the role something plays in a piece of syntax.
>> Imagine a language (like FOL) where the head and body of the rule have
>> the same syntax, in BNF you would have something like:
>>
>> Rule: <expr> :- <expr>
>>

> How about:
>
> Rule ::=  Head :- Body
> Head ::=  expr
> Body ::=  expr
>
> You can achieve the part-naming effect with BNF in this way.

This is like suggesting using a class instead of a relation.  With this
approach you cannot reuse the notion of "being a" head or body.  If some
other part of the grammer needs roles like head and body, they are stuck
being <expr>.  With an abstract syntax, I distinguish between these
"role names" and the productions.  The role names are just that: names
for the role a particular part of a production plays.

Anyway, in the telecon today we agreed to let the two syntaxes, since
they are isomorphic, live side by side and after we see some more
examples of how it's used we can decide as a group.

The only substantive objection to ASNs that I heard today was their
relative unfamiliarity compared to BNF.

>>> Regarding the "problem", which I see, I also explained it in a previous
>>> message: Our progress is slow because we are getting side-tracked by
>>> tertiary issues.
>>>
>> There are many reasons why our progress has been slow.  But this issue
>> is primary, so let's get it out of the way so we can get to the next one.
>>

> I don't think that the choice of notation for specifying the syntax is even
> a secondary issue.

If you truly think its unimportant, then you probably shouldn't prolong
the discussion (this was advice I received upon getting married).

-Chris

cawelty@frontiernet.net                     Hawthorne, NY 10532