Re: resolutions

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Dave Reynolds wrote:
>> Francis McCabe wrote:
>>> How about Rule Ontology?
>> Of course, though that's presumably already in progress with RIFRAF.
>
> There are two separate things, here, right?
>
>    1)  An ontology of rule systems and rule languages
>
>        Instances: each different rule system (Jess, Prova, Blaze
>        Advisor, JenaRules, etc), as on
>
>        http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/List_of_Rule_Systems
>        and in the answers to the questionnaire.
>
>        The WG will probably provide instance data for a dozen or two, of
>        the hundreds that probably exist.
>
>        This is what I think RIFRAF is about.
>
>    2)  An ontology of rules and rule sets.
>
>        Instances: each different rule and/or rule set
>
>        Millions of these exists; users of RIF could be imagined as
>        authoring instance data in this ontology.  I often think about it
>        that way (I think all syntaxes are just ways of serializing
>        triples), but I'm agnostic on whether the rest of the WG thinks
>        about it this way.
>
> I think Frank was talking about #2 when he said "rule ontology".

I agree these are two separate things but isn't (at least part of) the
intention of the RIFRAF work to inform #2 by identifying common shared
concepts?  Perhaps I should have said "in progress via RIFRAF".
Personally I'm not particularly motivated by #1 but had thought it had
been justified as input to #2.

I was assuming the RIFRAF work would generate outputs such as "lots of
rule language seem to have feature X, how will we handle feature X?" and
feature X is then a shared concept in the sense of #2.

For example:
   "ah, there is a cluster of languages here that support what we might
call 'action rules' which invoke some sort of action in their
consequent, so we need to make sure the #2 ontology includes concepts
like :Action, :ActionRule and an extensible library of specific types of
action. Here's the specific sorts of actions that seem to be needed ..."